I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available — instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Starting in just a couple of weeks there will be an opportunity to earn 5,000 AAdvantage® Loyalty Points without spending any money. That’s because Bask Bank* will be introducing a limited-time account opening bonus for their Bask Mileage Savings Account which awards Loyalty Points for new accounts.
Between September 15, 2022 and December 15, 2022 Bask Bank will offer 5,000 Loyalty Points for holding a minimum daily account balance of $25,000 for 90 consecutive days.
- First time Bask Mileage Savings Account holders only
- Open an account during the offer period and fund it with $25,000 within 15 days of initial account opening
- Maintain a $25,000 minimum daily account balance for 90 consecutive days out of the first 105 days following the initial account opening
- And as long as you’ve provided Bask Bank with an AAdvantage® account number in the same
name as the Bask Mileage Savings Account, they’ll award 5,000 Loyalty Points
I view this as a big improvement over the current account opening bonus of 1,000 AAdvantage® miles for holding a minimum daily account balance of $5,000 for 90 consecutive days.
And this is a great opportunity since Bask Bank has also increased the earning on its Bask Mileage Savings Accounts. You will earn 20% more miles for your savings than before – in addition to earning credit towards status with the airline.
Benefits Of Status
This offer for opening a new Bask Mileage Savings Account can help you earn AAdvantage® status.
Some of the key benefits of status include,
- Upgrades for the member and a companion for all status members. Executive Platinum members are eligible for upgrades on award tickets. This applies to U.S. domestic flights as well as between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). American still upgrades from economy to business class, even on aircraft with premium economy!
- Partner benefits. Status is recognized with benefits on Alaska Airlines and JetBlue, as well as on oneworld partner airlines and other partner airlines around the world like Brazil’s GOL. Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members receive complimentary upgrades on Alaska Airlines.
- Benefits during travel. Priority check-in, standby, security and boarding. Free checked baggage allowance and (Platinum members and above) priority bag delivery. For Platinum Pro members and above, complimentary same-day flight changes.
- Additional travel benefits> Complimentary better seating on the aircraft, including access to complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats as well as a status reservations desk.
I actually think American’s new way of earning status makes frequent flyer programs fun again. You can chase status in all sorts of ways. And one of the easiest, starting September 15 and which doesn’t require spending money, is opening and funding a new Bask Mileage Savings Account.
This Bonus Is Perfectly Timed
This offer for a new Bask Bank Mileage Savings Account will let you earn Loyalty Points towards your status with American Airlines this year – or next year – depending on when you open and fund the account.
Something that is not yet well understood is American Airlines has changed the qualifying period for earning status. The Loyalty Points-earning year runs March through February of each year (not January – December). For 2022 earning there’s an extra two months, since January 2022 and February 2022 also count.
- If you take advantage of the offer at the start of the promotion in September, you can earn bonus Loyalty Points as soon as December. That means the Loyalty Points bonus counts towards the current status you’re working on.
- If you open your account in December then meeting the terms of the offer happens no earlier than March 2023. That means Loyalty Points will be deposited during the new qualification year.
You can use this great offer to put you over the top for the status you’re earning now, or jump start your status-earning for next year, depending on your strategy and situation.
How Valuable Are 5,000 Loyalty Points?
If the 5,000 Loyalty Points you earn put you over the top towards a status level, they’re incredibly valuable – since these are the points that are delivering status benefits on American Airlines like free checked bags, extra legroom seating, and priority for upgrades.
On the other hand, if you want to visualize the value in terms of an average per Loyalty Point, based on how much you think a Loyalty Point is worth, then here’s one way to think about it. You can impute a rate of return based on how much each Loyalty Point is worth, considering you’re earning this large ‘extra value’ after just 3 months.
|If You Value Each||Then After 3 Months||Which Is Like|
|Loyalty Point At…||Value You Can Get||Additional APY|
Bask Bank Has Increased Mileage Earning, Too
Since launch, the Bask Mileage Savings Account* has earned 1 AAdvantage® mile for every dollar saved annually. That has now increased to 1.2 miles earned for every dollar saved annually – a 20% increase.
If you save $25,000 for a year, you’ll earn 30,000 miles. I value those miles at $390.
Bask Bank did a good job determining how they should be reporting the miles earned as a return on accounts. Bask Bank’s terms and conditions say “[m]iles are currently valued at 0.42 cents per mile, the equivalent of 0.42% Annual Percentage Yield (APY).” 30,000 miles are considered worth $126.
If you pay taxes on those miles with a hypothetical income tax rate of 32%, you’re paying $40.32 in taxes and I’d consider you to be netting $349.68 in value. When you factor taxes into a traditional savings account return this is quite high. And note that other sites evaluating these miles, like One Mile at a Time and The Points Guy assign a value that’s 15% – 36% higher than mine.
How I Use Bask Bank
I have more miles in American’s program than in any other, and I still earn more. This is the currency I’ve used most for my own travels.
Since I’m a current Bask Bank Mileage Savings Account customer, I’m not eligible for this offer, however I’m benefiting from mileage-earning for my savings and indeed I am benefiting at a faster rate than before. I’ve been a customer of Bask Bank’s parent Texas Capital Bank, though BankDirect, since the summer of 2003 – so 19 years – which is longer than I’ve had an open account with any other financial services company. I set aside money in the account for property taxes and for other taxes.
Bask Bank also offers an interest-earning savings account, so you can easily move money back and forth when you prefer to earn miles or prefer interest. And the APY on their interest-earning account is an aggressive 2.20%**.
*Bask Bank is a division of Texas Capital Bank, Member FDIC. The sum of your total deposits with (i) Bask Bank; (ii) Texas Capital Bank; and (iii) any other division of Texas Capital Bank are insured up to $250,000. Additional coverage may be available depending on how your assets are held.
**Annual percentage yield (APY) as of AUGUST 16, 2022. APY may change at any time before or after account is opened. No minimum balance requirement and no monthly account fees.